Sister Bradley

Sister Bradley

Monday, October 9, 2017

All the new people!

This week things started to pick up a lot more :)

We had a lesson with the Jehovah Witnesses, but I'm 100% positive that they were actually trying to convert us lol, yeah, that is going to end. They were very kind at least and the man was a recovering heroin addict, so props to him.

We had a really cool lesson with a man named Bob we found a couple weeks ago. He is a Buddhist in background, and agnostic now. He had so many good questions because he has a science background. He asked questions like: where do the dinosaurs fit into the creation, do you believe there is other life out there, and why are there so many denominations of Christianity because you all believe in the same God right? He was super fun to teach! People who have no pre-conceived notions of Christianity or God are the most fun to teach! I kind of felt like Ammon who was able to teach King Lamoni about God. We asked if Bob prayed and he said that he did, but he wasn't sure who he was talking to. We told him that he is talking to God, and that God loves him and hears every prayer that he offers, and we invited him to pray to know if the message we were sharing was true. We shared what the Holy Ghost feels like and invited him to pay attention to the feelings that he receives as he prays and reads. He was even more floored after when we told him we do this for 18 months straight and only talk to our families once a week by email. :)

Crazy tracting experience, and a good one :)
Us: "Do you have a faith or a belief in anything?" (typically we don't ask that, but it kinda just came out of my mouth.)
Man who called himself Mike: "No, I have a belief in myself. I don't think I'm the right person for you to be talking to."
"How do you find peace in your life?''
"I work hard for it, all the peace I have comes from things I do."
"What if we told you there was a way for your family to be together forever, would you be interested in that?"
*pause for a moment as he looked at his two little boys clinging to his legs*
"Yes."
"We'd love to meet with you and share a message about how that is possible for your family, what times..."
Now, I probably missed a lot of that conversation, but it is amazing to see how hearts can be softened when we are led by the Spirit. I had no idea what I was going to say the whole time, but as it is written, "open your mouths and they shall be filled." (D&C 33:8)

Last crazy...and very interesting tracting story:
We walk up the driveway and this man walks out obviously a little drunk,
"Ladies! What can I do for you?"
"We are the missionaries and we are sharing a message about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ"
"Girls, you are in the wrong neighborhood. You should be over there (referring to the hood, I'm pretty sure he is the only person that has ever told us to go to a sketchy place haha) we already have Jesus, I am a believer"
We proceeded to start to teach the Resoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and left him a pamphlet. He said that he would read it and to come back when we were done with the neighborhood. Oh, and I forgot to mention he called us "kiddos" and kept wanting to give us knuckles haha
We came back after tracting the neighborhood and he kept asking us what we wanted, he told us that he'd give us money. We kept pressing further and further and finally we asked him if we could come back and give him the most valuable thing we own. He was just floored by this point. He told us that we had a very good presentation and that he was intrigued by what we were doing and that he would gladly accept the book and that he would read it too. Mitch, your life is about to change :)

This week I've experienced many humbling events, and though it may not be the most enjoyable experience during the process, the results are definitely phenomenal and totally worth it. I realized there are only two options when experiencing these events: you can be hardened or softened. A couple of times I struggled, wanting to let my pride get in the way, thinking that I am right and that I know best, but, as I thought of the Savior and the way He reacted to adversity and realizing I wanted to be like Him, I changed the way I thought about the different situations I was in, and was able to work through them all with the Savior's help. This was the best decision I made all week.

The truths of these scriptures have been imprinted on my soul:
 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

"Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers." (D&C 112:10)

Serving with a Smile,
Sister Bradley

Pictures:
Serving in the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment