Sister Bradley

Sister Bradley

Monday, October 17, 2016

Email From Jenny: Week 1 in Indiana

Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 9:46 AM

I MADE IT TO ZION!!!! hahaha well pretty close, I am serving my first 2 transfers here in a town called Zionsville!!! It is super cute and all the people here are super rich!! Seriously like everyone here is a doctor or owns a business or something like that! haha The ward seems great so far, everyone is super friendly and willing to help with the work :) So we haven't done a lot of teaching because we are both new in the area but we are diligently looking for people to teach, oh and we got this super sweet referral! Do any of you recognize the name Jerry Sloan ( I didn't... haha) anyway he is the former coach of the Utah Jazz and we got a referral for his son Bryan Sloan!!! Bryan wanted to read the entire Book of Mormon before taking all the lessons with the missionaries and he is finally finished!! Right now we are trying to get in contact with him, we missed his call this morning, but hopefully we will be able to find a time to teach him this week!!! :) so please pray for him!!
 We also had some interesting experiences...we met with a less active who sings songs to us on our voicemail and we were trying to get her to come to church with us. She starts making up all these excuses when we met her and so we started talking about the sacrament. She then proceeds to tell me she has her own communion and eats bread and water on her own...uhhh okay.....so I start talking about the priesthood (God's authority given to man to act in His name, only given to males) and she proceeds to tell me that she has the priesthood and blesses the bread and water herself and that she is actually a prophet too.....WHAT???? OH MY!!! At this point I was at a loss for words, I looked at my trainer Sister Harris with the "you better save this situation right now because I NEED help!!" She shared Moroni 6:4-6 which talks about when Christ blesses the sacrament and "they did meet together oft". Bless her soul!!! She brought it right back to Christ which is where it needed to be and the Spirit came back. Needless to say this lady is a little crazy, she then wanted us to clean an do laundry, I really think that is one of the only reasons she lets us over but she calls us her angels. We also met Carla who is a recent convert who lives at an assisted living home, we play Bingo twice a week with her and these old people are so serious about their bingo. Carla was having a bad day Saturday when we played, but she won Bingo 4 times!! haha I think she needed that to lift her spirit! We are trying to get her prepared to go to the temple on the 29 of October so pray for her too! One last funny thing. Here in Indiana people are so nice!! So nice, that they shut the door on your face as they are smiling ear to ear telling you they aren't interested!! This lady wouldn't even let us in when it was raining haha so I guess you could say we are "happily" being rejected which I'll take any day over being screamed at. Indiana is beautiful, the gospel is beautiful, and life is a beautiful thing. One of the biggest things I love about serving is that we get an hour a day to study personally. I invite all of you to read the scriptures each day this week and search for something that you need to know that day. I know that if you do this and show God you care by writing it down you will be blessed with more revelation. Sometimes it is my personal studies that get me through the day! I love you all! Please keep enduring, it is the best decision you will ever make, next to making those covenants with God.

Serving with a smile,
Sister Bradley

2 comments: